Saturday, April 2, 2016

B is for Breaking Bad #AtoZChallenge #BreakingBad @AprilA2Z @BreakingBad_AMC

Breaking Bad is, probably, and I'm not exaggerating, one of the best-written television shows I've seen in a long time. I almost did an "Awesome Writing in Media" feature on it, but figured I could do this first.

Full disclosure--hubs and I didn't watch it when it aired; we binged on it from start to finish over a period of a couple weeks recently. Thank you, Netflix.

Because when we moved to Albuquerque, most of the time the first question out of someone's mouth was, "Have you seen Breaking Bad?" So it was mandatory viewing. "Yeah, bitch!" as Jesse Pinkman would say.

Even only having been sort-of familiar with the city (we've lived in New Mexico since last summer), it was evident that the location was its own character on the show. No, it didn't overshadow Walter White or Jesse Pinkman, but the city shone in its own way. I'm one of those people who Googles stuff about shows afterward--trivia, filming locations, etc.--and one thing was that it was almost filmed in LA, but New Mexico offered attractive tax breaks. While that's obviously a good reason to film a big-budget show not in Los Angeles, I can't imagine Breaking Bad would have been as awesome if it had been set somewhere with less character.

Imagine it--no gorgeous Sandias in the background while driving a Pontiac Aztec. No scrubby desert in which to drive your meth-lab-RV out to cook. No Grove Cafe [link has spoilers!] for chamomile tea with stevia. No car wash.

A photo posted by Sarah Allan (@sarahallanauthor) on

Notes:
--The car wash is Mister Car Wash now, but the address is the same. We've been there--they do a good job. It's been remodeled, but there are pictures of the cast on the walls. They embrace the tourism!
--We went to The Grove in 2011--the food is great but it tends to get very busy and parking can be a nightmare. Have patience.
--I have no comment about RV meth labs, but we have seen a few oddly-placed ones when we road-tripped to Colorado...

It's been a fun experience to watch the show and point out places we recognized. There are filming location tours in the area (one even has an RV that they take you around in), but most are easy to find if you look them up in the interwebs. But please don't throw pizzas on the roof of the White's house. It's just not polite.

See you next time for C!

xoxo Sarah


12 comments:

  1. I must say I've never heard of this show! Now I need to see where I can find it to at least watch one episode of it :)

    enjoy the weekend!

    betty
    http://viewsfrombenches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all on Netflix (the US version, anyway) and once you start, you won't stop! I'm glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  2. I have never watched Breaking Bad but absolutely love Jack Bauer and 24!

    Open Minded Mormon A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, another great show! The London one they did a couple of years ago was a nice revival.

      Delete
  3. I watched the repeats for the first time as they aired every week night and couldn't get enough. so well written and well acted. Edge of your seat stuff - loved it!
    Rosa
    @RosaT_Author
    Rosa Temple writes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly how we felt! Once we started bingeing on it, we couldn't stop!

      Delete
  4. Definitely one of my favorite shows as well. Excellent choice for "B"! Are you watching Better Call Saul as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't seen it yet, but the first season is now on Netflix so I think we'll be watching it very soon. :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen "Breaking Bad" but that is because I don't watch much TV, but I have lived in a number of places where movies were made so I often see such iconic sites and when someone visits me, I almost always take them to the entrance to Wormsloe, which is the road scene surrounded by live oaks and Spanish moss that was in Forest Gump. It isn't far from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! Movie locations are always a good place to take visitors. I have some Breaking Bad fans who can't wait for us to take them around when they come visit.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen Breaking Bad YET, but it is on my list of to-watch on Netflix. Glad to hear a great review on the show.
    Best Wishes!
    Lori

    My A2Zs @ As the Fates Would Have It & Promptly Written
    Follow Me (Ravyne) Twitter|Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, we have a list like that, too. The whole thing is on Netflix and the seasons aren't super long, so it won't take a long time to get through it (and then you'll wish there was more)!

      Delete