Friday, March 18, 2016

#FoodieFriday: Blackberry Sage Pork Chops

My poor husband and I share the same aversion to pork chops, though if you ask him, he's suffered worse.

Picture from Budget Bytes
Tortured by family who served dry, stringy, overcooked pieces of pork smothered in applesauce (his) or apples and sauerkraut (mine), I rarely bought them in order to save us both from food-related PTSD.

Pork tenderloin, on the other hand, enjoys a healthy rotation in our repertoire. And no, I don't overcook it. I pay close attention to the thermometer, thank you very much.

But this delicious recipe from Budget Bytes for Blackberry Sage Pork Chops has changed our tune.

I've made this recipe a couple of times; the first was with pork tenderloin I had in the freezer (cut into medallions), and the second was with pork chops as prescribed.

Though the recipe itself is very cost-conscious and uses simple ingredients--most of which you probably have in your pantry already--the amazing sauce is sweet and savory and makes you feel like you're eating a restaurant meal.

Just follow the directions and you're golden. If you're like me and ended up with pork tenderloin to use instead, thaw it if frozen and cut into medallions about an inch thick. Then proceed with the recipe as it's written. It'll be fabulous!

The biggest hurdle was, oddly, finding blackberry jam. I scoured the whole shelf and was only able to find a couple of brands, whereas most of the selection was strawberry, raspberry, grape, and a few others. I think, though, if you're in a pinch, you could probably use raspberry and it would come out very well.

If you're looking for a cost-conscious way to jazz up dinner, this is it!

xoxo Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment