Friday, December 11, 2015

#FoodieFriday: Date Nut Pinwheels #ChristmasCookies

Okay, I'm hearing a lot of hate for the traditional sugar cookies--you know the ones. Thinly roll out a big rectangle (okay, blob) of dough, push cookie cutters through, and decorate before or after they come out of the oven.

I remember making them with my mother, but I'll take a drink of that haterade--if you're making them with kids, get ready for a gigantic mess; they're pretty bland for what should be a fun cookie; and the shapes fall apart (decapitated reindeer, anyone?).

No wonder she always made rum balls afterward...

Enter something different--Date Nut Pinwheels. These are my father-in-law's favorite cookie, and I finally had a chance to eat them this past winter. His mother (one of my husband's grandmothers) would make them for the holidays, and my mother-in-law doesn't really care for baking, so it was at my husband's aunt's house that I got to sample them.

YUM.

I'm not sure why I thought it would be a crispy cookie, but it was nice and soft and a little chewy, made even more chewy because of the date filling. The mouthfeel--yeah, mouthfeel--of these cookies is lovely.

And I'm a procrastinator of the highest order, so about a week ago I finally got around to asking one of hub's cousins if she could get the recipe from her mom. (Thanks, Beth!). I'm not sure what cookbook it's from, but below are the pictures she sent. I don't claim ownership of the recipe, but I'd assume it's from Gold Medal Flour given the product placement. Please don't sue me, Gold Medal Flour.

The first picture is for the base recipe for the cookie dough, and the second is for how to use that cookie dough to make the Date Nut Pinwheels.

Some cookie tips: don't skimp on the chilling. It says chill until firm; throw that dough in the fridge and chill it! What does that even do? It helps the dough not spread too much when baking. If the dough is warm, you'll get date nut blobs, not pinwheels.

I realize the recipe is a little vague on what kind of nuts to use (very vague--just says "nuts"), but I'd probably go with pecans or walnuts.

And use yourself some parchment paper. Trust me. That stuff makes baking a whole lot more enjoyable.





Let me know if you make the recipe! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

xoxo Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment